Raise your hand if you know what oil pulling is! Okay, those of you with your hands raised go ahead and skip down a paragraph. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about this next little bit is just for you!
So what is oil pulling? It is an ancient Ayurvedic practice to detox your mouth, whiten teeth, improve gums, fight bad breath, and improve overall oral health. Some people may prefer to go to this dentist in beaufort sc or one that is in their area to help keep on top of their oral health. But this was probably before they discovered that the method of oil pulling can offer the same benefits as visiting a dentist can. So how does it work? The basic idea is that you swish an oil, like coconut oil, around in your mouth for 20 minutes. This swishing activates enzymes that gently remove plaque and draw out nasty toxins. While there is currently no scientific research on oil pulling myself and my family have notice huge improvements in our oral health not to mention the hundreds (probably thousands) of testimonies scattered across the internet.
Now onto why these oil pulling tabs are more special than the rest?
Turmeric: Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial. Helps remove surface stains on teeth.
Calcium Carbonate & Trace Mineral Drops: Helps provide minerals to the mouth to support healthy mineralization of teeth and enamel.
Essential Oils: Support oral health.
Mineral Whitening Oil Pulling Tabs
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Calcium Carbonate Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Dropper Trace Mineral Drops
- 10-15 Drops essential oil. (I like to use peppermint, or thieves essential oils)
- Optional: a pinch of stevia or zylitol to add a bit of sweetness (great for kids and picky husbands 😉 )
In this recipe I use essential oils. For essential oils I choose to only use Young Living because of their amazing Seed to Seal promise I know that what I am getting is pure essential oil that has not been diluted or had chemicals added to it like many store bought essential oils. I want my family to be happy and healthy and using Young Living is one way that I do that. If you are interested in essential oils you can find out more about Young Living and learn how to save 24% on all your purchases here.
Place all the ingredients except the essential oil into a glass measuring cup and place that into a sauce pan of warm water on the stove. Since coconut oil has a pretty low melting point you do not need to let the water get too hot.
Remove the measuring cup from the water when the coconut oil is melted add in the essential oils and stir.
Pour into small silicone molds that hold up to a tablespoon of oil in them. Mine holds just under a tablespoon and this batch made 19 tabs.
If your house is pretty cool you can let them set up on the counter or you can pop them into the freezer for 10 minutes.
Pop them out and store them. The turmeric settles at the bottom of the mold giving the top of the tabs a pretty orange color.
How to Use Oil Pulling Tabs
- First thing in the morning after you have had a glass of water place 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoons worth of tabs in your mouth.
- Allow them to melt, you can help this process along by chewing some.
- Swish around in your mouth for 5-20 minutes, start out low and work your way up.
- Spit the oil out into a trash can DO NOT swallow, you want to get rid of all those toxins, and DO NOT spit in the sink, it might clog your drain.
- Then rinse with warm water and brush your teeth.
- I store my tabs in a glass mason jar in the fridge since it is summer and my house is super warm. The melting point of coconut oil is 77 F so if you live in a cooler climate or it is winter you are probably safe to store them out on the counter top.
****Super Special Note: If you have a small bathroom DO NOT EVER keep you oil tabs in the bathroom. The steam from the shower will melt them and make a huuuuge mess. (I may have found this out the hard way and spent a few hours cleaning coconut oil from all over my bathroom.)